DOUBLE the time you think you need – for EVERYTHING!
This is the most important tip of all. Time seems to pass much more quickly on the wedding day. No wedding vendor we know (and we know a MANY) can think of one bride who didn’t run late for just about everything. This creates a huge amount of anxiety and stress for you and for your family and wedding party. Then add booze to the mix and chaos will rule!
The solution is simple. Double the amount of time you think you need for everything. If you think hair will take an hour – give it two. If you think makeup will take 30 minutes – give it an hour. Wedding planners can really help with this but if you don’t have a planner, you must allow plenty of time or you will not have a stress-free wedding and you will not have time to get the gorgeous photos you saw on your photographer’s website!
One of the most common causes of wedding day delays is getting from one place to another. If you will be in different locations for hair, makeup, getting dressed, ceremony, photographs, and reception, a lot of time can be chewed up getting around. This is why a carefully thought out timeline is so valuable. Having a limo is great because you don’t have to deal with parking but if you don’t have this luxury all day, select a designated driver to get you around.
Here are a few of the time-killing delays you can expect related to getting around…
- Getting out of the bridal suite – you may have to find things to take with you, get others to come along and in a messy bridal suite, this can take time.
- Getting from the bridal suite to the car – you may have a bit of a walk to the car, in the big dress, and while you’re walking, you are running into friends and relatives who want to greet you and chit-chat.
- Getting the car – your car may be in valet so make sure you call down before you leave the room.
- Getting into the car – you may be wearing the largest garment you’ve ever worn and getting into a car may be difficult.
- Finding your destination – you may not be familiar with the area or how to get to your destination. Be sure to print directions to all destinations before the wedding day.
- Traffic – what else is going on in town on your wedding day? Any parades or big sporting events that might create a traffic nightmare? Find out ahead of time by asking your hotel or checking a local events website.
- Drive time – calculate the expected drive time taking into account the time of day and any other possible issues such as detours or weather.
- Parking – scout out the parking situation ahead of time for every location you’ll be going to on your wedding day. Use a limo or designated driver to avoid the parking dilemma.
Really take the time upfront to think through the flow of your day and pad the schedule. It will make ALL THE DIFFERENCE.